Finished my third half marathon on Sunday!! I honestly had so much fun. It’s going to be a tough one to top!


The weekend started off with the Health & Fitness Expo on Friday when I went to go pick up my packet at the Convention Center. I never really stick around for long, just picked up my number, gear bag, t-shirt and whatever free goodies I could gather. Tried some Kombucha soda, the rootbeer was delicious! Won a water bottle, and got soo many lightly salted snap peas. I also happened to watch a Q&A with Meb Keflezighi, and took a photo with him after!! (yes, J believes I’m becoming a total running nerd, which I took as a compliment!) Meb is definitely an inspiration, and so personable! I have no idea how he does it after meeting so many people.


“Hi Meb!”


This is the third time I’ve ran the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Antonio half marathon. My alarm was set for 5:00am, but I woke up at 4:30 on the dot. Couldn’t fall back asleep, so I chugged some water and made some oatmeal. Left at 6:30am, and was dropped off near the start at about 6:55am. I was fortunate to have a ride. They eliminated shuttles this year, and I heard the bus system was a nightmare!


Flat runner


Met up with some friends, stretched, jumped around to stay warm, and headed toward our corral (10) close to start time at 7:30am. I learned from last year to bring a “throwaway” long-sleeve to keep warm before the race, which definitely made a difference. Weather was perfect actually; temperature was 46°F to 68°F, humidity 71%, wind 3.728 mph. The course started and finished by the Alamodome, the second mile passes a historical landmark the Alamo, runs by Peal Brewery district, heads toward Brackenridge Park with some memorable hills after passing the San Antonio Zoo entering Trinity University, goes through downtown, and hits King William District before the finish.


RNRSA half marathon course 2015


Work crew! (I’m so short!)


Decided to start with my friend, her hubby and her friend. Being with company before the race definitely helped ease the nerves. I still get super anxious before races! Started off faster than my usual pace, and luckily it didn’t kick me in the butt later. Once we reached the first major hill, I knew I had the training to push through it, and made sure not to stop. I felt strong tackling the hills, and remembered that making it uphill was half the battle…I still needed to coast the downhill. Decided to ditch the headphones this time, so I could really appreciate the scenery/environment. I really enjoyed being able to listen to the bands along the way, and read some awesome signs!




Majority of the race I felt pretty good! I woke up with an earache, but thankfully it disappeared by race time. I was worried about my right IT band, because it started giving me trouble 3 weeks before race day. I actually only made it up to 10 miles in my training. After that, my running dropped drastically, so I could rehab it. My last long run was an 8 miler a week before race day to help ease my mind. During the race, I started to drag a little heading into mile 11, so I picked up some Vanilla Bean GU to see what the fuss was about. I’d never tried it before, and it was actually pretty good! I also spotted my love cheering on the sidelines around this time, which definitely gave me the boost I needed to finish strong!


“Hi babe!”


Running buddy!


The fact that I had a running buddy this time definitely helped! It kept me accountable, because I’m pretty sure I would have started walking at some point if I was alone. Also, now I’m a total believer in race day momentum. My pace was faster than pretty much all of my training runs!! Definitely made me realize I’m capable of more than I thought! I’m proud to say I PR’d, and beat last years time by ~16 minutes!! Definitely makes for tough competition next time!




3rd half marathon in the books!


2015-12-06 11.13.37
Official time


So the day just kept getting better…of course I stayed after the race to watch one of my favorite bands Third Eye Blind!!! Although they were in Chicago hours before, I’m so grateful for the energy they managed to muster together! This is the third time I’ve seen them, but this is the closest we’ve been! I’m not sure if it was the adrenaline keeping me going, but I still managed to jump, dance, sing and shout along! Overall, quite the amazing day, and I’m pretty sure I’m still livin’ off of that runner’s high! Until next run folks!



Third Eye Blind!



  • How was your most recent race?
  • What is one of your proudest accomplishments?